Thursday, November 19, 2015

Digging Up Artifacts!



Today in class we had to present our Artifact Bag Project. By doing so, our task was to create an Artifact Bag with three artifacts that tied together as hints to a specific explorer. My explorer was Henry Hudson because he played a huge role in my unit plan. I distributed my Artifact Bag and presented my Power Point to my colleagues. They were engaged by filling out an artifact 5 W's chart and by analyzing the three artifacts. In my bag, I included an ancient map of the Untied States, a compass, and a picture of a sailboat. Each of these artifacts relate to Henry Hudson because he used both the map and the compass to sail up the river looking for a trade route in the sailboat. The students would use their analyzation of the artifacts to conclude who the explorer was. In my lesson plan I explained how I would activate prior knowledge by going over what an artifact is, and how it can be applied to history. I explained how I would break students up into four groups giving them each their own Artifact Bags in which they would be given a task to investigate, complete the 5 W's chart, and finally submit a conclusion page based on their findings. The students would present their Artifact Bag for the rest of the class and give a brief synopsis of why the given artifacts led to the specific explorer, Henry Hudson.

Reflecting on the Artifact Bags: I enjoyed creating an Artifact Bag and the presentation on it as well. I think that this activity is extremely engaging for students and it is a great way for fifth graders to interact. Artifact Bags can also be used for students to introduce themselves at the beginning of the school year. The Artifact Bag was a great way to interact and further historical knowledge in the lesson!






2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda,
    I like how you explained your presentation. Even though I didn't see it, I was still able to grasp all of the main points of it. I also like how you included how you could use artifact bags as a way for students to introduce themselves in the beginning of the school year. That's so creative!

    ReplyDelete